Daily News Analysis For UPSC
Syllabus subtopic: Disaster and disaster management.
News: Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu recently unveiled the ‘Red Atlas Action Plan Map’ atlas and the ‘Coastal Flood Warning System App (CFLOWS-Chennai)’ for flood mitigation in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Prelims and mains focus: Features, need for and significance of the Atlas and CFLOWS.
About Red Atlas Action Plan Map
- It is a first of its kind ready reckoner map, prepared by Union Ministry of Earth Sciences to aid state government of Tamil Nadu in effective flood mitigation in Chennai which witnessed the worst deluge in 2015.
- The atlas is aimed at flood mitigation, preparedness, operations and management aspects.
- The manual besides showcasing the probable scenarios for different rainfall periods also provides information on corporation wards that are likely to be affected due to flooding, and the areas that may need evacuation in Chennai by taking into account all historical datasets.
Coastal Flood Warning System app for Chennai (CFLOWS- CHENNAI):
- Launched by NIOT.
- It is India’s first integrated coastal flood warning system.
- It is an integrated GIS-based decision support system to provide forecast on potential inundation 10 days in advance.
- It will be hosted and made operational at National Centre for Coastal Research (NCCR) with meteorological data inputs from India Meteorological Department (IMD), National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF) and Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS).
- The system can simulate the scenario and predict what will happen in a particular area.