Daily News Analysis For UPSC
UPSC Prelims 2020 Special for 10th July (PT Pointers)
PT Pointer 1
News: SC to decide if illegal migrants can be given the status of refugees
Centre’s question came on a petition by two Rohingya men who face deportation
Rohingya is an ethnic group dominated by Muslims. They are 100 percent Bengali and speak the Chittagong dialect. They majorly resided in the Rakhine State, Myanmar. The United Nations classifies them as the most persecuted refugee groups in the world. There was an estimated about 1 million Rohingya living in Myanmar before the 2016–17 crisis during which they migrated outside the country.
|Chittagong District, officially known as Chattogram District, is a district located in the south-eastern region of Bangladesh.|
PT Pointer 2
News: Full rehearsal for Chandrayaan-2 conducted
It is an Indian lunar mission that will go to the unexplored south-polar region of the Moon. The primary objective of this mission is to demonstrate the ability to soft-land on the lunar surface and operate a robotic rover on the surface. It will make India the fourth country ever to soft land on the lunar surface.
Initially, it was planned that the ISRO will partner with Russia to perform Chandrayaan-2. The two agencies even signed an agreement in 2007 to launch the orbiter and lander in 2013 but subsequently, Russia pulled out of mission citing financial issues, leaving India to continue with the same.
It will be the first space mission to conduct a soft landing on the Moon's south polar region. It will also be India’s first mission to explore the lunar terrain with completely indigenous technology.
PT Pointer 3:
News: Honour for ‘Plan Bee’ that helped save jumbos
Plan Bee is an amplifying system imitating the buzz of a swarm of honey bees to keep wild elephants away from railway tracks. It is implemented by the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) which earned it the best innovation award in Indian Railways for the fiscal year 2018-19. The amplified sound will be audible up to a distance of 700-800 m.
PT Pointer 4:
News: Kartarpur corridor to be fast-tracked
About Kartarpur corridor
It is a corridor that would allow the pilgrims to cross over into Pakistan from the Indian side to visit the Kartarpur Sahib shrine and return the same day.
- India had first proposed the Kartarpur Sahib corridor in 1999 when the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee took a bus ride to Lahore.
- But it was only recently that India and Pakistan agreed to construct the corridor on their respective sides so that Sikh devotees could worship at Gurdwara Nankana Sahib during the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.
- The corridor, once built, will give Indian pilgrims easy access to the shrine in Kartarpur
- A bridge will need to be constructed over the Ravi and there shall be no need for passports or visas
- India will build the corridor from Dera Baba Nanak in Punjab's Gurdaspur district to the International Border
About the Kartarpur Gurudwara:
- The gurdwara in Kartarpur is located on the bank of river Ravi in Pakistan
- It is about four km from the Dera Baba Nanak shrine, and about 120 km northeast of Lahore
- It was here that Guru Nanak assembled a Sikh community and lived for 18 years until his death in 1539
- The gurdwara was opened to pilgrims after repairs and restoration in 1999, and Sikh jathas have been visiting the shrine regularly ever since
- Sikh jathas from India travel to Pakistan on four occasions every year- for Baishakhi, the martyrdom day of Guru Arjan Dev, the death anniversary of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, and the birthday of Guru Nanak Dev
PT Pointer 5:
News: IRDAI for changes to TPA health norms
IRDAI is an autonomous, statutory agency that was established under the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999. It was established on the recommendation of the Malhotra Committee Report of 1994 (Head - Former Governor of RBI, Mr. R. N. Malhotra). IRDAI was constituted to regulate and develop the insurance industry.
Headquarter - Hyderabad
Functions of IRDAI:
- Protect the rights of insurance policyholders.
- Provide registration certification to life insurance companies
- Renew, modify, cancel or suspend this registration certificate as and when appropriate; promote efficiency in the conduct of insurance business
- Promote and regulate professional organisations connected with insurance and reinsurance business; regulate investment of funds by insurance companies
- Adjudication of disputes between insurers and intermediaries or insurance intermediaries.