22 October, 2019
Beijing is actively seeking to use the UN platform to legitimize and spread its ideology.
Whether through specialized UN agencies or peacekeeping, China is facing to fill the vacuum in international leadership left by the withdrawal of US from multilateral fora , and taking advantage of local of convergence among the members of the Security council on many global issues.
How China has gained more legitimacy in the UN?
1. China has 8000 of its soldiers as standby under the UN peacekeeping force
2. China has increased monetary contributions to UN fivefold.
3. Mr. Xi has promised to take an active part in leading the reform of the global governance system.
Achievements of China :
China has been able to get Communist party officials to head more than a quarter of UN's specialized agencies including FAO, the Industrial Development Organisation, the International Civil Aviation Administration and the International Telecom Union.
1. It is pushing its ideology through the global platforms.
2. China argues that each country may choose it's own human rights protection in the context of "national circumstances".
3. China is diluting the concept of universal values and promoting its world view on human rights.
4. With no one to stand up to China in te absence of US leadership at the UN, Beijing is actively promoting its foreign policies especially the BRI through the global body.
It says that BRI serves the purposes and principles of the Charter of the UN.
There is a speculation of a coordinated Sino Russian front at the UN due to the lack of unity among the western members of the Security Council.
Source: THE HINDU
Kirit Parikh Gas Pricing Panel The government recently appointed a Kirit Parikh committee to review the gas pricing formula. The committee's major recommendations: Maximum cost: A fixed pricing band for gas from old fields, known as APM (Administrative Price Mechanism) gas, is required. These fields produce two-thirds of the co
G20 Presidency of India as a Watershed Moment On December 1, 2022, India will formally assume the G-20 presidency. India will hold the presidency until November 30th, 2023. According to the Prime Minister, India's theme is "One Earth, One Family, One Future." More on the news: Agenda: The Prime Minister described
Women’s Representation in the Courts It was only the third time in the Supreme Court's history that a bench comprised entirely of female justices heard cases. More on the news: Apex Court's all-woman bench: Chief Justice of India D Y Chandrachud has appointed Justices Hima Kohli and Bela M Trivedi to the bench. The Supre
Rare Earth Elements The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has urged the government to encourage private mining in the sector and diversify supply sources in light of India's reliance on China for rare earth minerals imports. Despite having 6% of the world's rare earth reserves, India produces only 1% of global output and import
Rooftop Solar Installations According to Mercom Research India, rooftop solar capacity installations in India fell 29% to 320 megawatts (MW) in July-September 2022. What are the Results? Cumulative Installations: As of the end of the third quarter of 2022, cumulative rooftop solar (RTS) installations stood at 8.3 GW. Gujarat overtook
Copyright© Aspire IAS Academy. All rights reserved. Powered by CLT Technologies & Edu-Publishers Private Limited.