22 October, 2019
Beijing is actively seeking to use the UN platform to legitimize and spread its ideology.
Whether through specialized UN agencies or peacekeeping, China is facing to fill the vacuum in international leadership left by the withdrawal of US from multilateral fora , and taking advantage of local of convergence among the members of the Security council on many global issues.
How China has gained more legitimacy in the UN?
1. China has 8000 of its soldiers as standby under the UN peacekeeping force
2. China has increased monetary contributions to UN fivefold.
3. Mr. Xi has promised to take an active part in leading the reform of the global governance system.
Achievements of China :
China has been able to get Communist party officials to head more than a quarter of UN's specialized agencies including FAO, the Industrial Development Organisation, the International Civil Aviation Administration and the International Telecom Union.
1. It is pushing its ideology through the global platforms.
2. China argues that each country may choose it's own human rights protection in the context of "national circumstances".
3. China is diluting the concept of universal values and promoting its world view on human rights.
4. With no one to stand up to China in te absence of US leadership at the UN, Beijing is actively promoting its foreign policies especially the BRI through the global body.
It says that BRI serves the purposes and principles of the Charter of the UN.
There is a speculation of a coordinated Sino Russian front at the UN due to the lack of unity among the western members of the Security Council.
Source: THE HINDU
Copyright© Aspire IAS Academy. All rights reserved. Powered by CLT Technologies & Edu-Publishers Private Limited.