India’s Male Package
Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP)
- A financial package consisting of a grant of 100 million USD and new line of credit of 400 million USD.
- This will be the largest civilian infrastructure project in Maldives, connecting Malé (the capital) with three neighbouring islands — Villingili, Gulhifalhu (where a port is being built under Indian line of credit) and Thilafushi (new industrial zone) – by construction of a bridge-and-causeway link.
- This will boost economic activity, generate employment and promote holistic urban development in the Malé region.
Direct Cargo Ferry Service
- It will be run between India and Maldives.
- The service is expected to enhance sea connectivity and provide predictability in supplies for importers in Maldives and exporters in India.
Air Travel Bubble Between India and Maldives
- This will facilitate movement of people for employment, tourism and medical emergencies.
- Maldives is the first neighbouring country of India with which an air bubble is being operationalised.
Quotas for Supply of Essential Commodities
- This was renewed for 2020-21. The commodities include food items as well as river sand and stone aggregates to assure food security, and supply of essential construction items.
- In addition a financial aid of 250 million USD will be provided to Maldives by India.