19 October, 2019
Procurement of 155 mm Excalibur precision guided ammunition from US
What is Artillery gun ?
Artillery is a class of heavy military ranged weapons built to launch munitions far beyond the range and power of infantry's small arms. Early artillery development focused on the ability to breach defensive walls and fortifications during sieges, and led to heavy, fairly immobile siege engines.
1. Extended range
2. High accuracy
3. Ammunition can be used in all 155mm artillery guns with Army
4. Excalibur provides " first round efects" at all ranges in all weather conditions.
5. Extends reach of 0.39 calibre artillery to 40 km and 0.52 calibre artillery to 50 km.
Other artillery guns in Army
1. M-777 Ultra Light Howitzers(ULHs) from US.
2. K9 Vajra-T self propelled guns from South Korea.
3. Dhanush indigenously manufactured at Ordnance Factories Board at Kolkatta .
4. Bofors 155 mm guns
5. Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System ( ATAGS ) by DRDO.
a. Dhanush indigenously manufactured at Ordnance Factories Board at Kolkatta promoting 'Make in India'.
b. Dhanush gun is equipped with “inertial navigation-based sighting system, auto-laying facility, onboard ballistic computation and an advanced day and night direct firing system”.
c. The self-propulsion unit allows the gun to negotiate and deploy itself in mountainous terrains with ease,
d. Dhanush has been mechanically upgraded to fire standard NATO 155 mm ammunition and can accommodate the bi-modular charge system (BMCS) that has increased its range.
Source: THE HINDU
Copyright© Aspire IAS Academy. All rights reserved. Powered by CLT Technologies & Edu-Publishers Private Limited.