20 October, 2019
The Archaeological Survey of India is carrying out precautionary treatments to protect Ajanta cave paintings.
Ajanta caves :
1. Ajanta caves are a series of 30 Buddhist caves located in the Aurangabad district, Maharashtra.
2. This site is declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. It encompasses both Theravada (Hinayana) and Mahayana Buddhist traditions.
3. It is built on 6th century a.d..
4. It is located along Waghura river.
5. It was under the patronage of Satavahanas, Vakatakas, Chalukyas and Yadavas.
6. Only 5 are Chaityas , rest are Viharas out of 29 caves excavated.
1. The bat and bird excreta damages the paintings.
2. The paintings are good breeding place for microbes and insects thereby damaging the paintings.
3. The main problem is the entry of rainwater and water from the Waghura river , that leads to dampness in the cave atmosphere causing an increase in Algae, fungi , insects and microbes
4. The insects were silverfish, Beatles and common bugs.
5. All the factors are changing the original colour of the paintings from White to Yellow and Blue is turning to Green.
Why Ajanta is affected and not Ellora?
# In Ellora caves "a mixture of hemp ,clay and lime plaster was considered efficient for preserving paintings and carvings" is used.
# Whereas in Ajanta caves, studies have shown that basal layer of the murals was made of mud plaster and organic matter such as paddy husk ,grass ,vegetable fibres, does making it a good breeding place for microbes and insects
1. Using ultraviolet light traps as nocturnal insects get attracted to ultraviolet radiation.
2. Yellow light traps can also be used to trap diagonal species like moths.
3. By understanding the phototactic behaviour of insects, appropriate wavelength lights can be used.
4. Other precautionary measures taken by ASI are:
a. Spraying of insecticides and herbicides
b.Fixing the loose plaster on cave walls
c.Regular cleaning and use of preservative coating on the painting.
Source: THE HINDU
India is now ranked 38th out of 139 nations in the Logistic Performance Index (LPI) 2023 of the World Bank. From its previous rankings of 44th in 2018 and 54th in 2014, this is a notable improvement. Earlier, the Logistics Ease Across Different States (LEADS) Report 2022 was published by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. About Logi
Airports discovered more than 63% of this illegal gold. The Department of Revenue Intelligence recently conducted the Golden Dawn Operation across India, seizing 101.7 kg of illegal gold valued at Rs 51 crore. Despite the fact that India receives a legal import of about 800-1,000 tonnes of gold each year, the illicit market is thought to be
Both parties expressed satisfaction with the ongoing bilateral defence cooperation at the 8th India-Thailand Defence Dialogue, which was held in Bangkok, Thailand. Cultural ties and mutual cooperation that have been shaped by thousands of years of lasting historical and cultural ties characterise India and Thailand relations. Highlight
The Kerala government's appeal of the order of the Kerala High Court is rejected by the Supreme Court. The Kerala government's appeal against the Kerala High Court's directive to move Arikomban (Wild Elephant), the "rice tusker" of Munnar, to the Parambikulam tiger reserve was recently dismissed by the Supreme Court.
Global Buddhist Summit In order to improve diplomatic and cultural ties with other nations, the Ministry of Culture recently organised the First Global Buddhist Summit 2023 in collaboration with the International Buddhist Confederation (IBC). About the summit "Responses to Contemporary Challenges: Philosophy to Praxis" is
Our Popular Courses
Module wise Prelims Batches
Copyright© Aspire IAS Academy. All rights reserved. Powered by CLT Technologies & Edu-Publishers Private Limited.