23 August, 2020 2 Min Read
GS-I : Tribes
Namath Basai: Kerala
- The Kerala State government is carrying out a unique programme called “Namath Basai” of teaching tribal children in their mother tongue.
- The programme is being implemented by the Samagra Shiksha Kerala (SSK).
- SSK is an overarching programme for the school education sector extending from pre-school to class 12.
- It aims at improving school effectiveness measured in terms of equal opportunities for schooling and equitable learning outcomes.
- It has succeeded in retaining hundreds of tribal children in their online classes using their mother tongue as language of instruction.
- Teaching in the tribal language has to a good extent stopped students from dropping out, which is quite usual in hamlets
- It offers pre-recorded classes through a YouTube channel in three tribal languages in Attappady valley in Palakkad District Kerala.
- These languages belong to the Irula, Muduka and Kurumba tribes.
- It is being introduced in the tribal belts of Wayanad and Idukki as well. Classes are offered in the Oorali, Muthuvan and Paniya languages in Idukki.
- Wayanad has the highest number of tribals in Kerala followed by Idukki.