UPSC Courses

DNA banner


  • 23 April, 2020

  • 5 Min Read

Trump set to sign immigration order


  • President Donald Trump confirmed he would sign an order later on Wednesday partially blocking immigration to the U.S., in a move he argues would protect workers from the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Immigration is a key issue for Mr. Trump's conservative base, which he is keen to energise ahead of the November election.


  • Issuing of green cards — permanent residency permits — would be stopped for 60 days, but would exempt temporary workers such as seasonal farm labourers.
  • It will help put unemployed Americans first in line for jobs as America reopens.
  • About 22 million Americans have lost their jobs since the outbreak forced a global shutdown.
  • The U.S. is the world’s hardest-hit country, and health care infrastructure in hotspots such as New York has struggled to cope.
  • The executive order on immigration will likely spark court action to reverse it, and has raised hackles among his Democratic opponents.

Green Card Definition

Green Card is the unofficial nickname for the permit allowing immigrants to permanently live and work in the United States of America.

  • The official name of the US Green Card is “Lawful Permanent Resident Card”.
  • It even has a more bureaucratic name: Form I-551.
  • Green Card holders are known as “Permanent Residents”.

Those who have a Green Card are allowed to emigrate to the USA and stay there for as long as they like. Owning a Green Card is the basic requirement for moving to the USA. That means that anyone who would like to permanently live and work in the USA requires, firstly, a Green Card.

A person with a nonimmigrant visa is dependent on their job or the purpose of their stay in the USA, but a Green Card differs in that it gives the holder total freedom. Green Card holders can choose their place of work or where they want to live in the USA without limits and for however long they want.

US H1B Visa:

  • H1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows US companies to employ graduate level workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise in specialized fields such as in IT, finance, accounting, architecture, engineering, mathematics, science, medicine, etc.
  • Any professional level job that usually requires you to have a bachelors degree or higher can come under the H-1B visa for specialty occupations. If you do not have a bachelors degree or higher you may be able to show degree equivalence through work experience and/or other qualifications.
  • The US employer petitions for the H-1B Visa in the US which has a duration of up to 6 years.

Source: TH

Students Achievement

Search By Date

Newsletter Subscription
SMS Alerts