BIHAR PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
The BPSC conducts recruitment exams to fill Group A, B, C posts in the state administration of Bihar.
Among the various exams, the Combined Competitive Exam (CCE) is one of the most prestigious and tough exams. Via the CCE, the BPSC recruits for about 20 posts and services.
The Bihar PSC is a constitutional body under Article 315 of the Indian Constitution.
The BPSC came into existence in 1949 after its separation from the Orissa and Madhya Pradesh commissions. It is mandated to assist the state government in matters of recruitment, transfers and disciplinary actions.
Few of the BPSC Exams are listed below:
- 1. Assistant Director, Agriculture Engineering
- 2. Assistant Director, Horticulture
- 3. Assistant, BPSC (Main) Competitive Exam
- 4. Assistant Professor (Urdu)
- 5. Assistant Engineer, Mechanical (Preliminary) Competitive Exam
- 6. 30th Bihar Judicial Services Main (Written) Competitive Exam
- 7. Assistant Engineer (Civil)
- 8. Assistant Engineer (Electrical)
- 9. 64th Combined Main (Written) Competitive Exam
- 10. 65th Combined (Pre) Competitive Exam
The detailed information, notification, vacancies, eligibility, syllabus, and online application can be found on the official BPSC website. GIVE LINK FOR OFFICIAL WEBSITE.
The exam pattern of BPSC CCE is given below:
- • Stage 1 – Prelims – 150 marks (Objective Type)
- • Stage 2 – Mains – 900 marks (Descriptive Theory)
- • Stage 3 – Interview – 120 marks (Oral)
The salient aspects of the BPSC exam pattern are:
- 1. The first stage i.e. Prelims is a screening test .
- 2. The Prelims exam comprises one paper (General Studies) which will be of objective type (MCQs) and the exam duration is 2 hours .
- 3. There is no negative marking in BPSC Prelims.
The tentative dates for BPSC (Combined Competitive Exam) are given below:
- • BPSC Notification – July
- • Prelims – September
- • Mains – February li>
BPSC Exam Dates and Details can be found in the following table:
|Start of BPSC Online Application||August|
|Last date of complete form submission||September|
|BPSC Admit Card released on||November|
|BPSC Pre Result||February|
|Start of BPSC Online Application for CCE (Mains)||March|
|Last date for submission of hard copy of Mains application||May|
BPSC Prelims Syllabus
The Prelims is the screening stage before the BPSC Mains. The marks in Prelims will not be taken into consideration for the final merit list.
The BPSC Prelims Exam Syllabus and Pattern is:
|Name of Exam||Combined Competitive Exam (Pre)|
|No of Papers||1 – General Studies (150 marks)|
|1.||GENERAL HINDI (QUALIFYING)||100||3 HRS|
|2.||GENERAL STUDIES PAPER-1||300||3 HRS|
|3.||GENERAL STUDIES PAPER-2||300||3 HRS|
|4.||OPTIONAL PAPER||300||3 HRS|
BPSC Personal Interview Pattern
It will consist of 120 marks.
Final merit list will be taken out of 1020 marks.
Few points to note regarding BPSC Syllabus for Prelims:
- • The questions on Science and Tech will be such that they do not require subject specialization.
- • Under History, candidates also need to focus on the economic, political and social aspects.
- • In both History and Geography, candidates have to prepare the history and geography of Bihar as well
- • Under Geography, questions will also be based on the social and economic geography of Bihar and India including Indian agriculture and use of natural resources
- • Under Indian Economy and Polity, the questions will cover the following topics:
- • Indian Political System
- • Panchayati Raj
- • Community Development
- • Planning in India and Bihar
Under Indian National Movement, candidates have to focus on the resurgence in the 19th century, nature and growth of nationalism in India, and India’s independence. Also, the role of Bihar in the Indian National Movement is important from the BPSC exam point of view.
BPSC Eligibility Criteria
The BPSC Eligibility Criteria comprises:
- 1. Nationality
- 2. Age Limit
- 3. Educational Qualification
- 4. Physical Fitness
Candidates can check the updated eligibility criteria in the BPSC notification for the particular exam.
The BPSC Age Limit for General Category male aspirants is:
- • Minimum Age – 22 years
- • Maximum Age – 37 years
The age limit and other BPSC eligibility criteria vary for different services and categories.
Important points regarding BPSC Age Limit:
- 1. There is no restriction on the number of attempts as long as candidates full the age criteria.
- 2. For government employees who have been in continuous service for at least three years:
- 1. Number of Attempts: 3
- 2. Relaxation in Upper Age Limit: 5 years
- 3. For Persons with Disability (PwD), the upper age limit is relaxed by 10 years.
- 4. Ex-servicemen who are not above 53 years of age, can avail BPSC age relaxation of three years plus the number of years in service.
The Educational Qualification as per the BPSC Eligibility Criteria is:
- • A Graduate Degree from a recognised University or
- • An equivalent qualification
The Physical EligibilityCriteria is:
|Bihar Police Service||
For claiming benefits under reservation, candidates need to:
- 1. Have a Bihar Domicile
- 2. Mention the reservation category in the BPSC online application
The SC/ST category aspirants seeking reservation need to present the following documents:
- 1. Caste Certificate
- 2. Domicile
The BC/OBC aspirants seeking reservation need to present the following documents:
- 1. Caste Certificate
- 2. Domicile
- 3. Non-Creamy Layer Certificate
BPSC Mains Syllabus
Candidates who clear the Prelims stage will be eligible for BPSC Mains. Approximately, the number of candidates selected for Mains will be equal to 10 times the total number of vacancies.
The BPSC Mains Exam Syllabus and Pattern is
|Name of Exam||Combined Competitive Exam (Mains)|
|Name of Exam||
|Duration||3 hours each|
The Hindi paper is only a qualifying paper with minimum passing criteria of 30 marks (out of 100). The marks in Hindi will not be counted for the overall merit.
|General Studies 1||General Studies 2|
In BPSC Mains, candidates have to select one optional subject out of 34 choices. There will be only one optional subject exam for 300 marks and the questions will be of Honours Level (3-year course in Patna University).
For official notification Click Here.