16 October, 2019
10 Min Read
|GS-I||Global Hunger Index, 2019||Indian Society|
|GS-II||A TURKISH MISADVENTURE||International Relations|
|GS-III||ANOTHER GRIM REMINDER||Economic Issues|
|INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY GUIDE FOR INDIA||Economic Issues|
The 2019 Global Hunger Index report has been released.
The GHI ranks countries on a 100-point scale, with 0 being the best score (no hunger) and 100 being the worst. Values less than 10 reflect low hunger, values from 20 to 34.9 indicate serious hunger; values from 35 to 49.9 are alarming; and values of 50 or more are extremely alarming.
What is Global Hunger Index?
The Global Hunger Index (GHI) is jointly published by Concern worldwide and Welthungerhilfe. The score if the index is calculated by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). It measures and tracks hunger at regional, national and global levels.
The GHI scores are based on a formula that captures three dimensions of hunger—insufficient caloric intake, child undernutrition, and child mortality—using four component indicators:
Concerns for India:
What needs to be done?
In India, to combat the malnutrition levels both immediate and long term interventions are needed.
Source: The Hindu
Ottoman Empire under Khilafat ideology ruled the whole West Asia along with Syria till World War 1 with Istanbul as its capital.
After World War I, Kemal Ataturk's Revolution transitioned from Ottoman Empire to secular Turkish National identity
Present Ideology of Erdogan:
1. Similar views like Ottoman's Khilafat .Reiterating Turkish Islamic rules (against Kemal's secular ideology).
2. Wanted to establish buffer zone or safe zone upto 480 km wide and 35 km Deep till Rojava.
Puropose: a. To shift Syrian refugees
b. To secure Turkish territory.
3. Calls PKK( Kurdish Workers Party) as terrorist organisation and calls YPG (People's Protection Unit) as an affiliation of PKK.
4. With the loss of his party in June mayoral election in Istanbul, he hopes for a successful military operation to gain popularity.
Advantages of Turkey:
1. It is the second largest armed forces in NATO
2. Flat and arid terrain also favours Turkey
Operations conducted by Turkey :
Operation Olive branch
Impacts of Turkey's unilateral acions :
1. Spill over effects outside West Asia even in Europe.
2. Decline in America's dominance due to its pullover.
3. Attacking YPG may Unleash the IS terrorist imprisoned by them.
4. SDF started supporting Bashar Al Assad.
5. Increasing Syrian human rights violations and refugees.
Source: THE HINDU
Economic slowdown of India ,weather due to cyclical Downturn or structural factors.
IMF projects India's annual GDP at 6.1 %.
World Bank projects India's annual GDP of 6%
Moody's rating agency projects it as 5.8%
Most of the multilateral Agencies call it a structural failure.
Reasons for structural failure :
1.Weak financial sector due to high NPA and high share of NBFCs on banks total credit. NBFCs has borrowed 40% of bank's credit.
It poses broad-based contagion risks.
2. Sharp slowdown in major economies such as the US and Eurozone has spill over effects in India. This scenario has lead to Protectionist policies and trade wars.
Eg: "America first policy" ; "Made in China 2025" policy
3. Poor domestic demand.
4. Poor Industrial growth due to twin balance sheet problem.
5. Poor agricultural growth rate due to poor reforms in the institutional factors like land and credit.
1. Financial sector reforms to solve problem of both banking crisis and economic recession
2. Codification of labour laws and land laws
3. Infrastructure creation
4. Increase the rural demand
Economic cycle :
It is the alternating expansion and contraction of the business or economy.
The four stages of the economic cycle are also referred to as the business cycle. These four stages are expansion, peak, contraction, and trough.
During the expansion phase, the economy experiences relatively rapid growth, interest rates tend to be low, production increases, and inflationary pressures build. The peak of a cycle is reached when growth hits its maximum rate. Peak growth typically creates some imbalances in the economy that need to be corrected. This correction occurs through a period of contraction when growth slows, employment falls, and prices stagnate. The trough of the cycle is reached when the economy hits a low point and growth begins to recover.
Stages in economic cycle :
Expansion ,peek , recession ,depression, trough and recovery.
Source: THE HINDU
Services Exports Promotion Council (SEPC), set-up by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, has brought out the India Intellectual Property (IP) Guide at Cannes in MIPCOM 2019 for the Media and Entertainment (M&E) industry.
SEPC ( SERVICES EXPORT PROMOTION COUNCIL ):
The TRIPS Agreement came into effect on 1st January 1995, is considered till date most complete multilateral agreement on intellectual property. The areas of intellectual property it covers are as following:
Copyright© Aspire IAS Academy. All rights reserved. Powered by CLT Technologies & Edu-Publishers Private Limited.